One of the most complex areas associated with aged care are fees and charges to the individual who is receiving services. These are always changing mainly because of the changes in pension.


A pensioner is anyone who is receiving benefits or a pension from Centrelink, Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) or anyone who has a Concession Card.

Concessional resident is a pensioner who has not owned a home for the past two years and their assets are below a limit set by the Government (refer to website -Aged Care 101), when they enter a residential care facility.

Elderly people entering aged care facilities and their families need to understand some fees and charges that may be payable. There are four types of fees.

Basic daily fee (approximately 85% of full pension) are the standard fees charged for living expenses such as: nursing care, personal care, meals and laundry. In addition, an elderly person who is entering aged care facility may be required to pay an extra charge depending on level of care needed and their income. This is called means tested fee. An elderly person must pay this fee if they are: part pensioner, receive no pension or is a self funded retiree. This fee is calculated by the Government.

Residents will be able to choose to pay for accommodation as either a Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP), which is an ongoing daily fee, or a Refundable Accommodation Payment (RAD), which is a lump sum payment, or a combination of both.

Elderly people, who are Australian ex-prisoner of war, have the Department of Veterans’ Affairs pay for the basic daily fee and they do not pay any income tested fees.

Click here to download our Schedule of Accommodation Prices

Click here to download our Accommodation Descriptions